As though she was speaking about the boogeyman, Easter Bunny or Santa.
I am baffled as this is a normally intelligent, coherent and sane person who gives sound advice to me.
She (along with everyone else) has been living in a place (Melbourne, Australia) which has been under one of the world’s most harsh lock-downs since March.
Perhaps (and this is just my thought) this harsh lockdown, downward spiralling economy, militant police aggression (always rather terrifying in my opinion and the police in Australia have always been known for their brutality) has generated a perfect storm for people to begin buying into conspiracy theories?
The goverment health response in Melbourne has been a bit disjointed and people have grown impatient with it. Although now, after a very long year…they seem to have broken the back of it.
What causes people to believe in hokum?
- 5G causes covid or makes it worse
- A covid vaccine is going to be a way for governments to exert mind control over people.
- The restrictions and quarantines are a part of a global conspiracy of governments to control the movements of citizens.
Are seeded and propagated by people online who have a stake in causing chaos across the world.
I don’t know if anyone else has had this problem occur in amongst their group of friends or family members. What kind of people believe these things?
People who believe covid conspiracy theories
- Prefer to make decisions based on emotion and ‘gut feeling’ rather than logic or evidence.
- People who feel disenfranchised and disempowered in the world.
- People who are generally ready to give up decision-making in their lives to some omnipotent or all-knowing god or guru.