The Botanic Garden of the Jagiellonian University (or as they are known in Polish: Ogród Botaniczny Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego) is a botanical garden that was founded in 1783 in Kraków.
The ogród covers a lush expanse of 9.6 hectares, featuring lush landscaped gardens, several glasshouses and conservatories and exotic plant collections like orchids and even different types of Australian wattle and New Zealand flax plants. There are plentiful ponds where gigantic carp swim around and gaggles of geese glide past. It’s designed as a French baroque style and is perfect for meandering the time away on a sunny day.
Part of the Jagiellonian University, the garden has existed in one form or another for specimen growth and analysis since the 16th century.
This greenhouse complex known as “Victoria” was refurbished in 1882 and then rebuilt in the 20th century and again reconstructed in 1993–1998.
The “Jubilee” palm house was opened in 1966 alongside a group of tropical greenhouses. In 1954 came “Dutch” – low emissions, which covers collections of orchids.
On the day that we went there, a collection of beautiful clay artworks lined the pathways which seemed to portray mother earth-style figures in mutual embrace and union with the spirits of the earth and celebrating verdant growth.