Do you need a reason to get off the treadmill of mediocre existence and kick yourself in the ass? here are five. An Australian palliative care nurse recorded the statements of dying patients over the course of a year. Here are the five most common regrets of the dying.
1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.
3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
The intention here isn’t to depress anyone. It’s simply the highlight how fleeting, simple and precious it all is. What’s important is cutting away the bullshit and replacing this with authenticity. When people are about to die the tantalising taffeta and silk veils fall away. What remains is what will always remain. Do you agree?